Search for (almost) any book
Moon Oregon (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Jagged coastline, quirky towns, and a stunning array of natural wonders: Experience the best of the Beaver State with Moon Oregon. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible itineraries, whether you're wine tasting for a weekend, spending a few days in Portland, or road-tripping the whole state
- Strategic advice for outdoors-lovers, foodies, culture and history buffs, and more
- Can't-miss experiences and unique activities: Sample oysters in quaint seaside towns on a coastal road trip or get to know Portland's renowned craft beer scene. Catch a performance at the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, shop for organic produce at a local farmers market, or sip your way through Oregon's best wineries
- Outdoor adventures: Hike to rushing waterfalls in the majestic Columbia River Gorge, soak in hidden hot springs, and spot wild mustangs, gray whales, or eagles. Trek to unbeatable views of Crater Lake (the deepest lake in America!), cycle the banks of the Willamette River, or ski the fresh powder on Mount Hood
- Expert insightfrom Oregon locals Judy Jewell and Bill McRae on when to go, how to get around, and where to stay
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Thorough background information on the culture, landscape, climate, and wildlife, plus handy recommendations for international visitors, families with kids, and more
- Focused coverage of Portland, Columbia River Gorge and Mount Hood, the Willamette Valley, the North, Central, and South Coasts, Ashland and Southern Oregon, Bend and Central Oregon, and Northeastern and Southeastern Oregon
Sticking to one spot? Try Moon Portland or Moon Coastal Oregon. Hitting the road? Check out Moon Pacific Northwest Road Trip.
About the Author
Between the two of them, Judy Jewell and Bill McRae have lived in and traveled around Oregon for more than 50 years. During this time, they've also strayed out of state to research and write Moon Travel Guides to Montana, Utah, and southern Utah's national parks (like Zion and Bryce).
Asked to revise and update Moon Oregon, Bill admitted that he'd been dying for an excuse to go to the John Day Fossil Beds. And Judy reckoned that it was high time for her to revisit Brookings, where she'd worked for the Forest Service back in the early 1980s. The list of favorite destinations began to tumble out of their mouths: The Wallowas! Frenchglen! The Crooked River! Sign us on, they said... we're ready to hit the road!
Judy graduated from Reed College and worked at Portland's renowned Powell's Books for 14 years as a book buyer and manager, until she decided to leave to write travel books. When she's not traveling around the West, she now works as a technical and scientific editor and a yoga teacher.
Bill has written for Frommer's, Lonely Planet, and Mobil Guides, and has provided content for 1000 Places to See in the USA and Canada Before You Die. He has also edited books for National Geographic and provided content for websites like GORP and Expedia.
Judy and Bill both live in Portland, Oregon.